Shocking. I know.
I´ve been wanting to make saffron risotto for a while now. There's something about yellow risotto that just makes me smile. I make a superb lemon-basil risotto but it´s so white, this one was the perfect yellow.
Back to this risotto... this is as simple as it gets. It can be complicated to your heart's desire, but I have found that I prefer the simpler foods with amazing impact. This risotto fulfills that in every bite.
1 cup arborio rice
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1 cup parmesan cheese
1. In a small saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil and remove from heat
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook rice for 1 min stirring well (it will become beautifully shiny)*
3. Add 2 ladles of broth to the rice and stir well.
4. Before it fully dries out, add another ladle of broth and stir continually. Repeat this process until you finish the broth. The risotto is cooked to perfection when the rice is tender and the water has not yet dried completely, but it´s no longer soupy.
5. Remove from heat, add saffron and cheese, stir until incorporated and serve immediately.
*I omit fat from this step, if you feel you will be too sad without it just add a tablespoon of olive oil or butter. If you are using onions and garlic they should be browned before adding the rice.
WW Points +
Batch = 34 points
Serving = 8.5 points
Serving size = 1/4 recipe